The Assemblies of God organized in April 1914 in Hot Springs, Arkansas. The approximately 300 participants at the meeting incorporated the General Council with a hybrid congregational and Presbyterian policy. The Assemblies of God headquarters was first located in Findlay, Ohio, followed by St. Louis, and eventually moved in 1918 to Springfield, Missouri, where it remains today. The group had a variety of temporary locations for their assembly in Springfield. The building featured in the photograph was the first permanent establishment for worship; developed in 1920, at the corner of Campbell and Calhoun streets. The church became officially affiliated with the Assemblies of God in 1925 under the pastorate of D.W. Kerr. In 1957, the Assembly congregation dedicated a new sanctuary at the corner of Boonville and Calhoun.
Today the National Office, located at 1445 N. Boonville, includes an administration building, the Gospel Publishing House, the International Distribution Center, and the Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center. The Heritage Center contains the most extensive Pentecostal archives in the world.
Subject: Assemblies of God
Contributing Institution: Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center
Copy Request: Copyright held by Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center. Website: www.ifphc.org